The 2020 Cerasus Poetry Olympics is a competition that will run over 6 qualifying heats in July-August 2020.
The competition is open to all who pay the £5 entry fee and submit a batch of 6 poems before the closing date of midnight BST at the end of 30th June 2020.
On payment of the fee, you will be randomly allocated a country name, which will identify you during the course of the competition.
When the competition starts, countries will be placed into random, equal sized groups. The first heat poem from each country’s batch will then compete against the others in their own group.
The winners from each group will then proceed to the 2nd heat, where they will be placed into new qualifying groups. Those who did not win will be eliminated from the competition.
The second poem from each country’s batch will then compete… and so on, until the 6th and final heat.
At the end of the competition, there will be 3 Medal Winners:
The Gold Medal winner will be awarded 50% of the value of the entry fees received. They will also work with Cerasus to have a collection of their poetry published and will receive 10 complimentary copies of the ensuing book.
The Silver Medal winner will be awarded 25% of the value of the entry fees received. They will also work with Cerasus to have a collection of their poetry published and will receive 5 complimentary copies of the ensuing book.
The Bronze Medal winner will work with Cerasus to have a collection of their poetry published and will receive 3 complimentary copies of the ensuing book.
All published books will be made available to buy on Amazon and their authors will be able to purchase further copies at a discounted price.
Please refer to the full rules below:
- Entry to the competition is secured by paying the £5 registration fee, using the payment button below.
- Payment must be made no later than midnight BST at the end of 30th June 2020.
- After the closing date, payments will not be refunded.
- We regret, there are no concessions.
- After payment of the registration fee, you may submit your batch of 6 poems at any time, up to the closing date.
- Late entries will not be included in the competition and you may forfeit your entry fee.
- Entries must be submitted as a Word compatible document, attached to an email addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Poems can be of any length or format, but must be in the same order and in some way inspired by the 6 prompts given below.
- There must be a clear page break between each poem.
- The first page of your submission must include the following details: your name, email address and the name of the country you were allocated when you registered.
- The poems must be all your own work, to which you own full copyright and it must not defame, plagiarise, or otherwise infringe anyone else’s rights.
- The competition will be judged by the Editor of Cerasus Poetry, whose decision will be final.
- The progress of the competition heats will be publicised on http://cerasuspoetry.com and individual entrants will be notified by email.
- Winners will be announced no later than the 30th September 2020.
- The number of groups in each heat and the cash value of prizes will be determined by the number of entrants, the details of which will be announced before the heats begin.
As stated in the rules, the 6 prompts shown below must inspire your own poems, whether it be the image, title or text:
Please pay your registration fee using the button below:
2020 Cerasus Poetry Olympics
Registration fee, to be paid before midnight BST on 30th June 2020.